F-86

News - all the news for those who don't like social media!

Moderator: Slayer

Monterey56
F-86

Post by Monterey56 »

Your F-86 was a great plane for P3D, any thoughts about making it for MSFS?
Your F4U is a great plane and a whole lot of fun to fly in MSFS.
BTW, thanks for the 25 percent discount last weekend.
Ed
Slayer
Re: F-86

Post by Slayer »

There is a possibility but unfortunately we have nothing new to announce at this time.
Steve M.
Email: support@blackbirdsims.com
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

Slayer thank you for the freeware F-86. This is a wonderful surprise which I just discovered yesterday. Not sure who did the conversion, but this is absolutely fantastic. My CC is ready when you and your team of talented developers decide to release the fully functional version, but until that time comes, this is certainly a welcome addition.
Thanks again.
Ed
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Monterey56 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 pm Slayer thank you for the freeware F-86. This is a wonderful surprise which I just discovered yesterday. Not sure who did the conversion, but this is absolutely fantastic. My CC is ready when you and your team of talented developers decide to release the fully functional version, but until that time comes, this is certainly a welcome addition.
Thanks again.
Ed
We had nothing to do with it except to give the person permission to do the conversion from the old one. Glad you enjoy it.
Steve M.
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

Hey Steve,
It's approaching almost 10k downloads off of Flightsim.to, what do you and your team think about that? The external model is very nice and it doesn't fly too bad either for just a conversion mod. Why don't you guys make a payware version and offer it to us, so we can have a fully functioning cockpit? Not sure how hard that would be, but you guys are the pro's at developing great planes for us to use.
My thoughts and my thoughts only, is to forget about GA aircraft, there's way too many out there as it is, we need more cool vintage military airplanes.
Put it this way, you walk out to the ramp and have 4 choices.
1. Piper Comanche
2. Cessna 310
3. Corsair
4. F-86
Now which one are you going to want to fly?
Well, my first choice is the F-86, follow by the Corsair, the other two, I wouldn't waste my time or $$$.
A fully functioning F-86.......ASAP........would be great. Make it happen amigo.
Thanks and have a great day. I'm going to fly that mod F-86 around tonight and hoping someday.....SOON.....your website shows a F-86 for sale.
Ed
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Well, you may just get your wish ;)
Steve M.
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

Now that would be very,...., well, GREAT news.
Also, as a side note, many of the Sabre's flying today, if not all, have modernized cockpits, all the old military junk has been removed, which is an option that hopefully will be incorporated. The non-functioning rear view mirror is not necessary and in my humble opinion and doesn't look all that good.
The DCS Sabre has all that, the time stamp from the Korean war, and is a lot of fun to fly, so if you want to fire guns, rockets and missiles, that's the place to go, but I want to fly your beautiful Sabre in MSFS over satellite imagery on some cross-country flights and of course MSFS has rules about armament incorporation. The modernized cockpits very of course, from Doug Matthews latest restoration, which is ultra-modern, the the Planes of Fame Sabre which is an old modernization.
I was flying the mod last night and really enjoyed it, but it really does need to be a complete package.
Oh, and going through the entire preflight, start up and flight, is where it's at, shutdown too.
Have a great day and thanks for the reply,
Ed
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Steve M.
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

Hello Steve,
I just spent a couple of hours flying the F-86 in MSFS, and it flies really well. Just as well as the DCS version.
It's a flying classic and how lucky we are you authorized the conversion. Having a F-86 in MSFS is awesome and my #1 go to airplane, BTW your F4U is #2.
I am not a programmer, so I'm not sure what that would take, but get a functioning cockpit and release it asap.
Everything on the back burner until this F-86 is ready.
Warbirds are where it's at and you guys set the bar in FXS and P3D. Sadly, only one Warbird has been released since MSFS came out over 3 years ago, that being your F4U.
Have a great day,
Ed
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfcNA6_soM You got your wish it would seem ;)
Steve M.
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

Hello Steve,
I bought the Shrike F-86 yesterday. Here are my initial thoughts. The new release has some sort of GPS unit that I find very limiting on it's use, and I can't see anyone really using it, but the removal of the gunsight is cool because it affords you a much better landing view over the nose. The panel lights look good, but the side panels are of a different shade of white, a bright white where the instrument lights are more of a yellowish color, so they don't match, which is unfortunate. I haven't figured out the throttle yet, because when you close it the engine cuts out, it doesn't respect the stop/gate that stops the pilot from going to the cutoff position, having to move the throttle outboard to bypass the throttle stop gate. Maybe I am missing something? There are no navigation radios, like in none. There is an ADF, but I haven't used it yet. I was hoping that they would have actually done a civilian F-86, something on the line of the Planes of Fame Sabre, which has a very nice upgraded modernized cockpit. The cockpit here is too worn in my opinion and doesn't represent any of the F-86's flying around today, that goes for the exterior too. MSFS is a civilian sim, not a combat sim like DCS, which by the way has their Sabre which is really modeled very well, almost fully functional, which I find very enjoyable to fly, it really is amazing what DSC has done to all their planes in that regard, in fidelity and realism, can't wait for the release of the upcoming F4 Phantom. Yes MSFS is a civilian sim, which makes the machine guns, bombs and rockets kind of useless that are presented here, actually very useless. I mean who can get excited about this, not sure? I own the Milviz F4U which is very well done and I was hoping for that in this release, the F-86 deserves it IMHO. I would rather pay more to get more, as the closer you get to the actual airplane the more enjoyable it becomes. They keep on saying how it's a jump in go jet with this release, everything is very simple and so on, but if you're someone work enjoys reading the manual and learning the systems, this is not that plane. Actually the basic F-86 is pretty basic, the most complicated systems are the weapon and delivery systems. All this being said, hopefully we'll get a few updates that will make this closer to civilian F-86s flying around today. Removal of that current GPS, or whatever it is, and add of full navigation package would be a good place to start. Keep the gunsight, just make it removable for a better view over the nose when desired. Would I recommend buying this, sure, good to support the developer and hopes that they will do some upgrades to move this Sabre closer to the ones flying around today. There are some really beautiful ones on the airshow circuit.
On a side note FSRadiopanel intergrates very well with the freeware version on flightsim.to. A big thanks to Milviz for giving us this freeware and Aviator671 for the import. Unfortunately, FSRadiopanel does not work with this Shrike F-86 and not sure why?
Have a great day,
Ed
Monterey56

Post by Monterey56 »

I've been flying the new F-86 and it does fly very well. The throttle gate might be a MSFS limitation and the engine does not cut out when closing or moving it past the idle gate.
Whoever had the idea to implement a glass removal feature should be given a bonus. This is one of the greatest ideas in MSFS, to remove all those horrible windshield glares and the night time reflections on the canopy. Just brilliant.
I figured out how to add a complete radio package to this great F-86, including the autopilot. This jet is a great cross-country airplane and having a modern avionic package it really really nice. Hopefully the paint kit will be released soon.
Looking forward to any updates and having a VFR landing view would be cool and easy to implement, removing the gunsight, but not having that GPS unit show up. Maybe make it a 3 click process, 1 click gets you the GPS panel, second click removes the GPS, VFR or landing view and a third click brings back the gunsight.
Well have a nice day and I'm off for another flight in the F-86.
Ed